Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Second Time Around

Photobucket

Tonight I walked in the door from work, and Drummer's grin was the first thing that greeted me.

"Hi mama!" he exclaimed. I picked him up. "Out!" he cried, pointing at the door I'd just come through. He's always trying to make a jailbreak.

I looked at my son and thought: are we here already? Where he can express to me basic requests and wants?

With Tiny, I spent time reviewing lists of milestones, and anticipating them. Each one was met with delighted joy and wonder.

Photobucket
**Didn't I tell you? Tiny's driving.**

With Drummer, there is just as much joy. But there is surprised wonder instead of just wonder. "Huh? You're crawling/walking/kicking a ball/talking/playing hide and seek?" With each milestone, there will be this moment where I think he must be wonderboy. Until I remember that, no, it's totally age appropriate, and I've just been snuck up on by the march of time again.

Photobucket
**"What? What'd I do?"**

Does this get worse with child 3 or 4? I can only imagine.

I think I'll go get some rest, for fear that I'll wake up and discover that he's been submitting college applications behind my back. Gnite all.

Photobucket
**This one's starting preschool soon, and I'm much too sentimental about it.**

4 comments:

  1. i've felt lately like time is speeding up! your little guys are getting so big!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your thoughts on being a mother of two wonderful human beings. His eyes in that second picture are amazing. Just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you do me a favor and tell your kids not to grow up while I'm gone. Thanks, knew you'd understand sis. Aging may resume next time I come out on vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny, the moment I saw the first picture of your post I thought to myself, "Wow! He's getting so big!"

    With the third I find myself not remembering all of the firsts. I was really lucky if I have pictures. Even with Adam, today at an appointment they asked questions about his milestones. I could remember all Owen's, but Adams... I really had to think.

    Good luck with the transition to preschool. It's rough on so many levels!

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me Something Fabulous