Monday, February 21, 2011

Shhhh...It's a Secret

Photobucket

**Weekend Happenings: Waffles and Sticker Books. Rockstar and Tiny Dancer like to make breakfast together. I like to benefit from the tradition.**

Do you remember that book 'The Secret'? I heard about it on the radio, back when Oprah was going to discuss it on her show. From what I understand, the basic premise is that you send out a wish into the Universe for something you want(a soulmate, a million dollars), and somehow by desiring it, wishing for it, picturing it, it will come to you.

As 'power of positive thinking' as I am, this seems rather hocus pocus-ey. However. I have my own medical version of 'The Secret' going. It goes something like this:

Randomly one day while I was a resident, it occurred to me that I hadn't done an anoscopy in a while. And if you are green with envy at the thought that I get to do anoscopies, I totally understand. But I'm funny like that, and not much grosses me out anymore.

So when within a day or two of thinking that, a patient with hemorrhoids was on my schedule, and needed an anoscopy, I thought, "Huh. How funny...I was just thinking about that!"

And then it happened again and again and again.

"Gee, I haven't had to remove a toenail in a while."
"Hmm...I haven't had to admit someone to the hospital from the office recently."

Poof! A toenail removal. Poof! A hospital admission. etc., etc.,

So last week, as I was sitting there in my office, just letting my mind wander, there came one of those thoughts, "Huh...I haven't had to do stitches in a while."

I don't have to tell you where this is going.

I was working the Saturday morning "acute care" clinic this last weekend. And when I saw on the schedule that someone was coming in with a cut finger, possibly requiring stitches, I knew which doctor(me) would end up getting to see that patient. When I say 'getting to see', I mean that. My colleagues and I all enjoy procedures.

Sure enough, I was the next doc up for a patient when the injured hand was ready to be seen.

I took a look at the cut and said, "Yup, we're going to need to stitch this."

I gathered my needle and thread, and set about closing up the wound. (Incidentally, as I was tying my knots, I thought, 'Who says I'm not crafty?!?' A different medium, perhaps...)

The difference between me and 'The Secret', I suppose, is the fact that I'm not being intentional about it. So maybe I should change that? Maybe when I'm craving the chance to do a biopsy, an IUD placement, or a certain medical work-up, I should send that wish that out into the universe and see what ends up on my schedule.

On second thought, I'd probably be better served trying this on my kiddos. i.e., "I'm visualizing a toddler who always shares with her baby brother." "I'm wishing for a baby who never wakes up teething."

Ha! I doubt it works if you can't even do it with a straight face. Cause I don't think I can. "The Secret: Medical Version" notwithstanding. :)

**What about you...do you ever have any 'The Secret' moments?**

7 comments:

  1. Awesome post. I'm going to try that with swivel gliders :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. How did you do that to you pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my closest friends believes in this "secrets" lifestyle. When I refer to God, she refers to the Universe. I find it absolutely fascinating. Though our beliefs are very different we have found it so easy and comfortable to share every and all spiritual experiences that we have individually but in different ways.

    She is an amazing woman who does not believe in organized religion but is very spiritual. Her Universe is everything and she truly believes that she can will good things to happen. Knowing she has had MANY trials in her life, I find her beliefs to be truly amazing and admirable. She seems to always have hope and faith that things will turn out.

    I personally wouldn't know what to hope or wish for. As discussed with my close friend, it seems we focus on the trials we are given and and how we can overcome them. We are constantly trying to prove ourselves worthy of returning to our Father in Heaven. The concepts are almost opposites, except for the faith we believe in.

    Sorry this is all philosophical. Just thought I'd share!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My wish is to be living in the same city with all my children and grandchildren. Hope somebody in the cosmos is listening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate your medium of craftiness. :) Several of us over here have benefited from people with that crafty talent. And I would also ditto your dad's wish adding siblings and cousins to the list!!
    ps - is that Silver Sage in the pic from your previous post?

    ReplyDelete
  6. pss - if you happen to be looking for more questions for your dr. posts... I'd love to hear your thoughts on flu shot vs. no flu shot :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Renae-- I totally agree with what you said! Knowing that dealing with and overcoming trial is so key, definitely changes the game. :)
    Lisa--yes, Silver Sage. And we love it! And I'm definitely adding cousins to my list! Also the flu shot would definitely make an interesting post. I'll shoot you an email. :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me Something Fabulous