Friday, February 11, 2011

To Antler or Not To Antler




She was a peppy, middle-aged blonde woman who spoke mostly in buzz words, and was there to teach our practice how to take ‘customer service’ to the next level. And even though such seminars can’t help but take a turn towards cheesy street (“we’re creating Magic Moments for patients!”), I still love them. I think it’s the same part of me that likes QVC and Infomercials.

But when she started taking about professionalism, she said something that made me go, ‘huh’? In discussing how we need to be professional in our presentation, she mentioned that she’d seen a car in the hospital parking lot that had reindeer antlers affixed on the sides of the car. Seeing as it was Christmas season, I didn’t think this was particularly odd.

“Which is fine,” she said, “but if I saw that my doctor was riding in that car, I might start to wonder..you know...” And her voice trailed off.

I was left to think, “No, I don’t know. What do you wonder? Where else is my doctor wearing reindeer antlers?”

I wished I’d taken the time to have her clarify. “So, you’re saying reindeer antlers is to a car as what is to a doctor?” Inappropriate levity? I’m not sure what she was getting at.

Then I started thinking that it was a good thing she hadn't been at our office a few weeks prior. There was this time when I was having a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad hair day. Post-partum hair woes? Don’t get me started. So as I rushed around in the morning, trying to look put together and make it out the door on time, I knew I needed help. My outside-work accessory collection leans toward whimsical. But I’m conscious of what I wear here and what I where there.

As I surveyed my headband collection, though, the one that would cover the most fly-away surface area was a black & white number with a flower/bow on top. Not a super showy flower, but you know…a touch of whimsy. And as I grabbed it and put it on my head, I thought, “to heck with it! My patient’s won’t care if I have a bow in my hair.”

But sitting in my customer service meeting, I had to re-think that. Surely someone who takes exception to antlers on a doctor's car might think similarly of a bow on a doctor's head!

And then a few weeks later, while shopping for the residents’ Christmas presents with fellow female faculty members, one of them mentioned that a resident had seen such headband and cited me as her inspiration to wear more feminine hair accessories at work. Great. “I take no responsibility for anyone else’s fashion decisions,” I laughed. “Besides, it was just a bad hair day.”

Was I leading a poor, unsuspecting resident down the road to doctor fashion faux paus? Away from professionalism? Upon further consideration, I think not!

I understand the basic principles of professionalism and of course I endorse modesty, respect and avoidance of extreme clothing in the workplace. But when I walk into a room I like to think that whatever headgear I have on, or whatever I choose to put on my car, my patients know that I’m serious about my doctoring. That the way I carry myself, the questions I ask, the way I listen, and the advice I give are the things that determine a patient’s assessment of my doctoring skill. And I hope that my patient's know that I always take them seriously, even if I don't always take myself so seriously. Meaning, not so serious as to be opposed to a bow in my hair or flowers on my ears. Or, the occasional sassy pair of shoes.

So if I had my comment card to fill out again, I might politely suggest a different example for her professionalism lecture. Thigh-high boots or tie-dyed shirts perhaps?

But antlers on a car (not even a head!) as a cause for concern? Come on now, doctors should be allowed to have a little fun.

**I’d love to hear your thoughts...if you’d seen your doctor in that festive car, would you have high tailed it outta there?**

6 comments:

  1. If I saw the antlers on the car, I would say to myself "Well, there's a side to my doctor that I didn't know about!" but it wouldn't bother me a bit. Now if my doctor came into the exam room with a red clown nose accessorizing her face, I might consider that a breach of professional etiquette.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katers, you WEAR that headband! Our pediatrician always has on the cutest trendy shoes and some kind of recent hair accessory. And I love her for it. I feel like I connect with her a little bit more just b/c she dresses like me!

    And any time you want to talk post-partum hair issues... I am your girl. HATE. POST. PARTUM. HAIR. !!!!!!!!!!!!! But love you. heart! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best doctor Dad saw during his whole auto-immune thing was a rheumatologist at Kaiser who wore purple tennis shoes, wild socks and Tweety Bird ties. He was a brainiac who had worked at NIH. We loved him. I always felt the fashion choices indicated he could think outside the box, a very good quality in a doctor hunting down a mystery diagnosis that was clearly outside of the normal boxes. I wouldn't trust the Marketing Guru.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quote of the day: "Where ELSE might my doctor be wearing reindeer antlers?" I refuse to respect doctors who DO dress professionally...take that for what it's worth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those trainings are my own personal torture. And really, what do antlers mean? If we are going down that path what does the car you drive mean to your patients, or your shoes, etc. etc. Lame-o. PS Love the new blog! I linked to it and it is on my google reader. Hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dad-- Yeah, only Patch Adams ever pulled that off successefully. :)
    Lisey--I love that you told me that about your pediatrician! Hopefully my patient's feel the same.
    Mom--I had a friend in med school who dressed like that. He got a lot of flack from one of our professors, and actually put together a research paper about how patient's don't actually care how you dress. I forgot about that until you mentioned that. So, when I wear headbands, I'll just think it's evidence of my innovative thinking! :)
    Besh--duly noted. :) And not surprising.
    Sunny--thanks! yeah, I agree...it seems odd that they notice. But they do..I'm always fascinated by the comments patient's make on my or a colleagues clothing, etc., )

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me Something Fabulous