Tuesday, March 29, 2011

MacGyver Mom

Photobucket

In the land before kids, I didn't think a whole lot about what I brought onto an airplane. Running out the door, I'd throw my ipod and a few books into my purse, and call it good. Sometimes a fashion magazine and a bottle of water would make its way into the mix once I got to the airport. But really? That's about it.

Once I read a magazine article about things husbands found endearing about their wives. One guy, I recall clearly, loved that his wife was super prepared when they traveled. "She's like Macgyver,", he said, "anything that comes up, she's ready for. 3 hour delay? Here are some sandwiches I made. Headache? Tylenol and advil, here for the taking. A small cut? Here's my portable first aid kid."

I read that in awe, wishing I could be as uber prepared for every travel eevntuality as that woman. But the truth was, I didn't really see the need in most instances (my credit card and airport convenience stores seemed to fill the void) and I didn't have the energy.

But since being a mom?

I'm now a certified travel Macgyver. A Macgyver mom.

Packing the clothes part of a trip is still important. But this is not where I focus my energies. Since I realized that having the right equipment can avert on-board meltdowns, I focus on: the plane bag (dun, dun, dunnnnn.)

Travel with little ones can be crazy, and to me it, it is like a game to figure out which of their numerous needs may need to be met from the skies, and how I can plan the best way to efficiently meet them. In most aspects of my life, I'm a regular mix of organized and disorganized. But here? I've realized how mad preparation can benefit me, and I go for it.

I start with a list a few days before, listing out everything from changes of clothes, to baby Tylenol, to snacks, to toys, to reading books, to surprise coloring books, to rented Itune movies, to extra pacifiers, to sippy cups, to first aid kits, to diapers, to infinity and beyond. Yes.

Then when the packing begins, I temporarily abandon my efforts to reduce use of plastic bags and I go a little crazy. There's a 'Tiny Snacks' bag and a 'Drummer Snacks' bag. There's a 'medicine for the plane' and 'medicine for the suitcase' bag. There's a bag within a bag within a bag to keep it all straight and organized. And its all labeled. It helps me to easily reach what I need inside a big bag full of stuff.

I choose each thing carefully, and pack it just so. I feel like a mama warrior, preparing for travel battle.

The possibilities for things that can go haywire with kids while traveling are endless. And I think being a little OCD about my 'plane bag' helps me to feel a little more control. Obviously, I'm not. But it gives the illusion, and has helped things to go more smoothly.

And then when I'm able to be at the ready with some small thing I've packed? Oh, the satisfaction.

Hmmm....do I spy a dirty tray table? Excuse me while I just whip out my antibacterial wet wipes.

**what about you...what are your favorite tips for traveling with kids?***

7 comments:

  1. I feel like I'm an expert traveler having gone back and forth so much alone and it's ALL about preparation! My two things I do now is when I have an older kid and a younger one who is squirmy but not yet two, I buckle the younger one to his/her forward facing carseat in (which is worth carrying around airports) and lay a few blankets on the seat below to have the older one hang out to play, except for take off/landing. Depending on how much of a safety nut you are for kids buckled in on airplanes, it might not work for you.

    The second thing is when my girl was three and we went to Utah, I got a package of sleeping beauty princess toys (the polly pocket size) and she, who never played with toys, was mesmerized and in love for a good few hours. Granted, we lost some parts but it was the best sixteen dollars I've ever spent.

    If you happen to be flying home soon, have fun! And I enjoyed hearing about you being the patient, I never thought about it from the other side (and I'm sorry for your pain!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A roll of masking tape!! It's the best travel tip I've ever received. It goes like this:
    1. Get on airplane
    2. Hand each child their very own roll of masking tape to do with whatever they please.
    3. Enjoy the ride. And the crazy creative ways your kids use up the entire roll of tape. It's awesome!!

    When we flew to TX, my oldest 2 were laughing their heads off when each took turns ripping pieces of tape off the roll. It's the little things, you know. ;) I had people keep turning around to see what they were laughing so hard at and then would be totally astounded that it was... masking tape. Love it. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susie--great tips!! I really should try the car seat thing. That would be great for lil drummer!

    Lisa--fabulous! I'm for sure bringing masking tape on our next leg. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have learned that regardless of what I pack, I will never have the ONE thing my child wants. My 2 year old took her first flight at 8 weeks old and flew overseas (total travel of 24 hours straight) at 10 months old.
    Here are some of my favorite tips:

    -sinks are highly underrated as toys! They are both in the airport and on the plane-the best part? Clothes dry and you probably packed a change anyway!
    -Make friends with the flight attendants! They have saved me more times than I can count, from little things like getting my carry on's down to walking my toddler around the plane so I could eat.
    -Let your children be cute and happy before you board and before take off - a baby that was smiling with you 10 minutes ago is easier to bear when they are screaming.
    -Those backpacks with leashes are HIGHLY underrated for travel! My baby can stretch her legs and I'm not having to chase her too far with all of my luggage in the gate.
    -Stickers, coloring, playdoh or silly putty are fantastic - in an emergency, bandaids or the flight attendants can usually find some scrap paper and pens. I also stock up on dollar store toys so it doesn't matter if we loose any during the trip
    -Worst case scenario: i always have a stash of candy, suckers skittles whatever is easy to carry and will take a while to eat (beef jerky was best when we flew to New Zealand and we had a teething baby!)

    Since I travel alone with my daughter so much I also pack as few things as possible that I can purchase in my destination - however with international travel this meant packing a months worth of formula, bottle liners, and diapers (my daughter has SUPER sensative skin) but I should have brought laundry soap! It was a nightmare finding laundry soap that didn't give her a rash...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a post after my own heart. I travel so often with the boys and for such great distances, my carry-on just about packs itself now -- but I still have a VERY detailed list, and some hard and fast rules. Like, I always pack an extra shirt for me and I have needed it too often to skip. I am waiting for the day when I can pack reading material for me again, but we're not there yet. They are on different schedules still so when we fly I am always "on."

    My tried and true must-haves are foil back stickers because they peel off of anything, pipe cleaners (weigh nothing and the possibilities are ENDLESS), color wonder markers and paper, dollar store toys wrapped in wrapping paper (two diversions in one!), NOTHING THAT ROLLS, band-aids to stick on themselves and everything else, a sampling of favorite and new snacks (also wrapped in paper to enhance the fun), paperback books (especially Richard Scarry because every page takes 10 minutes to read) and only paperback because they weigh less and you can bring twice as many and a blanket for each child. Plus whatever else I have lying around that I throw in at the 11th hour hoping for one more 30 minute segment of being occupied.

    My life changed forever when my kids were old enough to carry their own backpacks. I am now counting the minutes until I can buy them each an ipod touch and pack a magazine.

    MacGyver Mom is right. Whether you want to be or not, traveling with little ones sort of forces you into it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kiwi--Love these tips! I have mad respect for people who travel alone on long, international flights with kids. A 5-6 hour flight gives me palpitations, even with the husband along!
    Linsey--fabulous ideas! This was the first time I packed a tshirt for me. I didn't need it, but could imagine the possible scenarios where I would. I laughed out loud when I read 'nothing that rolls!' --hilarious and spot on! I'm totally stealing some of these ideas. I look forward to Tiny packing her own backpack next time. I should have thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great ideas and way to go!! My kids are now old enough to travel more easily and since we've been out of the baby stage for a bit now and have gotten our feet wet with organic food, I got a big kick out of the food you've got in your bag!!

    Happy traveling!

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me Something Fabulous