Monday, March 14, 2011

What Makes a Doctor Tick

**
Photobucket

Today I was examining a 6 month old patient of mine. He is such a little cutie, with delectable fat rolls in all the right places. After we finished up, mom asked if I could take a look in his older brother's ear. Older brother had had a cold for almost two weeks, and in the last few days, had been complaining of right ear pain.

I was glad to oblige, and pulled my my otoscope off the wall. When I looked in his ear, there was a roadblock. "Cerumen Impaction Ahead!" So, if I was going to get a look at the ear to evaluate for infection, I was going to have to remove the wax.

I hunted down an ear curette. Big brother was a champ and held very still while I used the curette to clean his ear. It didn't take long before a large wax plug came neatly out.

Simultaneously, mom and I said, "Ewww!" and "Yes!"

Guess which exclamation was mine?

I don't know much, but I know I find strange things satisfying.

Once I had a clear view of his ear drum, I could see the infection easily. And what I could see, I could fix.

Wishing you a clearer perspective in all your endeavors this week. :)

**We think clearer with bows in our hair. And apparently for Tiny, the more the better. We get our bows at Coco Penny, the brainchild of my fabulously talented sister and her fabulously talented friend, Marianne. Check it out! We can't get enough.

3 comments:

  1. Hahahahaha you docs are a different breed. But thank goodness for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the head covered with hair bows. If Mary can get everyone to do that, think what a business she will have!
    Also, I'm glad to know you're so skilled at getting out the tough ear wax. Way to go, doctor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They've had to use that wonderful tool on Baby L to extract wax. He did not hold still. It was not fun. I think our pediatrician was more worried about his screaming than I was.

    Love the hair bows!

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me Something Fabulous