Thursday, March 31, 2011

Office Talk: Benadryl on the Airplane

Photobucket
Question: Can I give my child some Benadryl to her sleep on our upcoming airplane trip?

Answer: Speaking of kids and airplane travel, many parents ask me about whether they should give their child Benadryl before a flight. As a doctor, there isn’t a whole lot of evidence upon which to base this recommendation. Research in the pediatric population is pretty lacking. Anecdotally, I definitely have parents who tell me it works for them. I also have parents who say that it doesn’t. Personally, I don’t have strong feelings about it. My sister tried it with her firstborn, and her son was one of those kids who actually gets wired on Benadryl. I was on that flight. Let me tell you, it was fun. Maybe that’s why I’ve never tried it with my own littles.

Or it might be because I’ve read the one good study that does look at a similar situation. The researchers studied whether using Benadryl at night would improve infant sleep habits or improve parental satisfaction with infant sleep (and can I just say, this strikes me as the most important endpoint to look at. :)) Parents didn’t know if they were giving their children the placebo or the Benadryl. Did it make any difference? Nope. They even stopped the study early because it was so clear that Benadryl wasn’t having an effect. {Go here to read a more detailed report.} And if the medicine doesn’t work? I’m not going to risk the chance of side effects.

So if you decide to try it, check with your doctor about the proper dose and if your child is old enough to have Benadryl. On the package insert, it says not to use it under age 2, but we certainly do use it at times in younger children.

**Ha! You think you can medicate me to stay still on an airplane?**
Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. "Ha! You think you can medicate me to stay still on an airplane?" - Hahahaha Fantastic Quote

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I think my comments are way to long and that's why they aren't posting. Do you have a limit on your comments? I'm going to attempt to post this and see if it lets me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, I think I'm right. They are too long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Renae--message me! I'd be curious to hear your thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will as soon as I'm better. I've had a horrible stomach flu since Thursday. Still can't keep anything in. Hope you're travels are fun!

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me Something Fabulous